Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Why I Don't do Consultancy( or service-based business)


I've created excellent software for businesses, and at times they want it (almost) free, or sometimes, free. I've done it free of charge many times.
I did an enterprise application for a company and they made over N10m from it per customer per transaction. How much did they pay me? Peanuts!

Passion is a critical factor for building a great company. Without passion a business will hardly soar and without strong PASSION you won't succeed as a consultant.


Below are my thoughts about consultancy:

- Its a big distraction to someone who wants to create a 'product'.
If Steve Jobs had being consulting on a regular basis will we be enjoying the iPhone, iPod and iPad?

-It requires a great deal of experience to get a big contract. As a young entrepreneur you would have to prove yourself to big clients.

- It doesn't scale well. Why should I spend my life solving one business's problem when I can solve much more at one strike?

- It has an awkward profit. At times you have to work so hard to get little profit. *pissed mode*

- You, or your company won't be known for a lasting product.


For product-based business faced with the challenges of good-capital, consultancy can be used to raise capital.

Everyone has a driving force, and mine is my obsession for scaling and invention.

Have a happy life.
Software Developer | Techpreneur
___Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments here